Sore throat is a common ailment that also affects pregnant women. What are the remedies for sore throat in pregnancy? Find out more.
Sore Throat In Pregnancy: Early Symptoms And Triggering Causes
Sore throat is a seasonal ailment that affects most people, especially during the winter months. It is certainly among the easiest infections to contract, even by pregnant women. In fact, in the 9 months of gestation, the woman’s immune system is less efficient, making the body more sensitive.
In pregnancy, the symptoms of the sore throat do not differ from the classic annoyances: redness and itching, inflammation, dryness, difficulty in swallowing, and, sometimes, the presence of enlarged tonsils.
The causes of sore throats in pregnancy are also no different from those that affect the rest of the population, such as temperature changes, poorly humidified environments, pollution, allergies, and seasonal viruses. Other causes include tiredness, stress, and anxiety: typical symptoms of pregnant women, that lower the immune defenses and make future mothers more prone to contract infections.
Remedies And Measures To Relieve The Symptoms Of Sore Throat In Pregnancy
It is not recommended to take medications during gestation; So what are the remedies for sore throat in pregnancy? Let’s see them together:
- Rest: when you feel bad you happen to feel tired, weak, and exhausted; resting in these cases is the best solution. Slowing down the pace and taking it easy will allow the body to respond to the disease more quickly;
- Avoid contagion: it is very important to try to avoid coming into contact with people who can transmit flu viruses or bacteria. Some precautions to keep, especially during pregnancy, are: wash your hands often, ventilate the house by opening the windows, avoiding sudden changes in temperature, and, finally, do not use other people’s personal effects, such as plates or cutlery;
- Vitamins: fill up on vitamins, especially those of groups C and D. Opt for a balanced diet rich in fruit and vegetables. The body needs minerals and vitamins, essential for reactivating the immune system. Furthermore, it is good to remember to drink lots of water, tea, and herbal teas;
- Honey and lemon are excellent anti-inflammatories because they disinfect the throat and relieve the burning sensation. You can add them to a glass of warm milk or combine them in the preparation of a hot tea;
- Medicinal plants: the infusions of plants such as mallow, and marshmallow, that serve to relieve sore throat and also act as natural antioxidants and anti-flu. During pregnancy, it is best to avoid sage because it is an anti-galactogenic plant and can slow down milk production. Ginger root, on the other hand, can be very useful both as an anti-inflammatory and against morning sickness, but its intake must be limited due to the presence of mutagenic substances;
- Suffumigi: the vapors, created for example by adding bicarbonate or salt to boiling water, combine the germicidal function with the benefits of heat that help the mucus to thin and speed up its expulsion. The use of eucalyptus or propolis essential oils is not recommended because they are substances with very high diffusibility and can be potentially toxic to the embryo or fetus: they also act on uterine contractility and can even lead to the risk of abortion.
If these remedies are not sufficient to treat sore throat in pregnancy, it is advisable to contact your doctor and request the intake of tablets or sprays, which can act directly on the inflammation.
How To Relieve The Symptoms Of Sore Throat In Pregnancy With Nutrition
To relieve the symptoms of sore throat during pregnancy, it is advisable to follow a healthy diet, which can also contribute to strengthening the immune system.
Taking a good daily amount of vitamins guarantees good prevention as well as faster healing of inflammation. In particular, the absorption of vitamin C is recommended, which is important for its antioxidant properties; it is mainly present in citrus fruits, kiwis, and some types of vegetables such as peppers, broccoli, and red cabbage.
Beta-carotene helps fight infections, so carrots and pumpkins are a must-have for treating sore throats during pregnancy.
Spinach also has a good mix of vitamins and minerals that act as antioxidants, while garlic is worth considering for its anti-inflammatory properties.
On the other hand, a good dose of vitamin D can be obtained from fish, especially salmon.
A healthy diet must undoubtedly be accompanied by good hydration: it is advisable to drink small but frequent sips of water throughout the day, to keep the oral mucosa always well humidified. Hot drinks are also very important for the thinning of mucus, such as infusions or herbal teas of mallow, erisimo, marshmallow, or karkadè which, thanks to their many beneficial properties, contribute to the healing of the inflamed throat.
The Use Of Antibiotics In Pregnancy To Fight A Sore Throat: Yes Or No?
The use of antibiotics against sore throat in pregnancy is not recommended if its origin is not bacterial. In the case of viral infection, in fact, antibiotic therapy would not have any benefit, indeed it could cause damage, such as the so-called phenomenon of antibiotic resistance: the particular situation in which bacteria get used to the drug, strengthen, and multiply, making it useless. each of its administrations.
The antibiotic against sore throat in pregnancy must therefore be taken only and exclusively under medical prescription, in order to fight the pathogen responsible for the bacterial infection.
Read Also: What Does It Mean To Dream Positive Pregnancy Test?